Wow, February flew by. Is it just me, or does the 28 days versus 30 or 31 make this month feel an entire week shorter? It seems I just posted January’s ‘Round the Web, and here we are again. Anyway, I’ve got the goods, friends. These links cover everything from Tindering to parenting to psychedelics.
Side note: I know I’m just one of many, many people who were devastated when Jon Stewart announced his upcoming departure from The Daily Show — hence the image above, in tribute. I don’t use the word devastated lightly. Stewart makes American politics bearable, in a ‘Thank God I’m laughing so I don’t cry’ kind of way. The man is irreplaceable. But I respect his choice, summed up by what he said in this interview following his announcement: “You shouldn’t stay somewhere just because you can.” A good reminder not to get complacent, no matter what level of success you’re at.
Onto the links…
* Rolling Stone breaks down 9 things they learned from Stewart’s post-announcement interview on the Employee of the Month podcast, including #1: He’s not retiring.
* Wow. Did you see this incredible dance piece by Sergei Polunin, to Hozier’s “Take Me to Church?”
* What you learn in your 40s. “There are no grownups . . . there are no soul mates.” Wise, witty article by Pamela Druckerman, author of Bringing Up Bébé.
* The Trip Treatment. Fascinating, in-depth read at The New Yorker on new research into psychedelics for treating effects of illness.
* Whoa. Maybe I’m just an out-of-touch married lady, but Tindering in New York sounds nuts to me: “Except for ordering their drinks, none of the people I was with that night spoke to any other actual human beings . . . Each of them had six or seven Tinder chats going simultaneously.” Insightful piece from the New York Times.
* What a cool kitchen makeover in this California home. The transformative power of paint always blows me away.
* 300 Awesome Free Things for entrepreneurs. If you ‘re a freelancer/blogger/internet user of any kind, this is a pretty amazing resource. I especially love the huge list of free stock photography sites…invaluable!
* Whatever you do, Keep the Channel Open.
* Empowering Kids with Our Trust. A thoughtful piece on what I imagine is one of the toughest parts of parenting, written by my friend Sarah Conley.
* Because it’s Valentine’s month, after all: 5 Ways to Rekindle the Sexual Fire in Your Relationship.
* How do you guys get your news? I mentioned The Skimm in my Flash of Life post last week, but it’s worth recommending again: “The daily e-mail newsletter that gives you everything you need to start your day. We do the reading for you – across subject lines and party lines – and break it down with fresh editorial content.” Founded by two female news media veterans. (Thanks, Dianna!)
* Lastly, this image won the World Press Photo of the Year 2014. Progress.
And that’s a wrap. See you in March, everyone.
ps. If you enjoy these links, feel free to share the love and pass this post on…through facebook, email, twitter, secret handshakes…whatever moves you :) I appreciate it! Thank you, as always, for reading.